The ASPEN application is designed for public road managers who
- expect repeatable and objective road condition data
- seek for compelling arguments to raise funds for road maintenance, especially given the fact of competition from other budgetary units
- look for a solution, allowing for a road diagnosis, below the tender amount
- do not sufficient resources to commission a measurement campaign
- want to go one step further in digitizing their unit
The ASPEN application easily collects reliable and objective data needed to assess the condition of the road network and saves it in digital form. It provides road infrastructure managers with real, parameterized and objective arguments in favour of obtaining increased funds from the infrastructure owner.
ASPEN measures the vibration of a car with a smartphone and evaluates its suspension. It then calculates the IRI which shows how even the road is.
- Data reliability – data from ASPEN application achieve over 80% correlation with reference data obtained from laser profilometers
- Simplicity of system organization – mount and install – all you need to use the system is a smartphone with ASPEN application installed and Internet connection
- Data collected during other works – the measurement is carried out practically “by the way” of performing other tasks. Installing ASPEN smartphones in vehicles of road operators allows to obtain current measurements of daily maintenance trips. Repeated measurements increase the accuracy of results.
- Easy interpretation of data – the service processes and visualizes data. Equality and comfort indicators can be presented on profiles, maps and made available online through an online platform
WHY EVALUATE PAVEMENT CONDITION?
Efficiency of road infrastructure is a measure of progress and civilization development. The mobility of people and goods is still one of the key challenges faced by every modern state. The extent to which these needs and challenges are met is crucial for the performance of economic systems and fulfilling social needs. To effectively maintain infrastructure, road administrations collect data about its condition such as the presence of ruts, the amount of cracks or skid resistance. Comfort and safety of drivers are two important goals of road maintenance. They are largely influenced by the roughness of the road surface. Consequently, information about unevenness is crucial to evidence-based decision-making by the road operators, especially in the period of insufficient maintenance budgets.
High-level road administrations are bound by data acquisition standards. The state-of-the-art diagnostics of the road surface is a multi-step process in which measurements are done by specialized vehicles using laser profiling or scanning systems. They provide high-quality results but these methods are relatively expensive. Consequently, the operators of the primary road network perform diagnostic campaigns with the legally required minimal frequency. The local road network administrations hardly use modern diagnostics at all due to their prohibitive costs.
Smartphone-based cost-effective solution
The emergence of smartphone technology allows for overcoming these difficulties. Mobile devices mounted in cars ‘tremble like an aspen leaf’ and hence they enable an effective and inexpensive acquisition of information about the shaking level through their accelerometers and gyroscopes. These measurements describe the riding comfort. They can also be used to estimate the road evenness indicators.